Warm Fuzzies

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Last evening, I had the pleasure of watching Oprah's Legends Weekend. I found it interesting, because Oprah has already become a legend in life, and there couldn't have been a more perfect host for such an event. Oprah is the most inspiring, amazing woman of our time. The Legends weekend really touched the heart, with famous african american women being celebrated like Maya Angelou, Rosa Parks, Coretta Scott King, Cicely Tyson, Shirley Caesar just to name a few. These legends paved the way for us all, through segregation, and oppression but also strengthened women's rights everywhere. I don't believe anybody who watched the Legends weekend had a dry eye within the first 15 minutes of watching. I had chills during the Luncheon when the young'uns recited each of the legends names and repeated, We Speak Your Name, We Speak Your Name. Oprah gave a gift at the luncheon of beautiful diamond earrings that were just breathtaking in Oprah style. It was so generous, but that is Oprah's nature, she touches lives.

The highlight for me, had to be on the Sunday morning, at Brunch when they had the church of Oprah! There were gospel singers, and with so much talent in the room, it was inevitable that the microphone would be passed around to the greatest gospel legends like Dionne Warwick, Chaka Khan, Tina Turner, Dianna Ross, and Gladys Knight just to name a few.....

It was a celebration of the women who paved the way for us to be free, and live in a free society as strong free women. Thank you Oprah for sharing such an amazing event for all of us women to say thanks!

1 Comments:

  • At 7:39 PM, Blogger Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said…

    Hi Sherri!

    So great to see your new blog! Good work - I know how challenging it can be to get it goign with little ones and all our mommy responsibilties.

    I am tagging you for a new meme I am starting. (If this is new jargon to me - let me know and I will explain.)

    It is called Tackle It Tuesday and you can check it out on my blog. (if it is wednesday by the time you visit, just scroll down to find it.)

    Hope you want to play and talk soon...

    janice

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home